The Japanese Government has “relaxed” its no-go zone today for the areas surrounding the Fukushima Dai-ichi plant. Residents will now be allowed to move back into the affected area. Many critics of the move say it is too soon as japan has raised its acceptable radiation level limit!
Japan is letting up to 16,000 people back into their homes around its leaking nuclear power plant, easing restrictions in the no-go zone for the first time since last year’s disasters.
They will not be allowed to stay overnight, some must wear protective gear, and it’s unclear how many will return at all.
However, the step is crucial to permanently resettling towns vacated since the the March 11, 2011 earthquake and tsunami devastated the Fukushima Dai-ichi plant and caused meltdowns in three of its reactors.
A 20km zone around the plant has been off-limits to about 100,000 residents for more than a year because of radiation contamination.
But the plant was declared stable in December, with leaks substantially subsiding, and that let officials focus on how to clean up the contamination and allow some people to return.
Yesterday the government said it was rearranging the evacuation zone based on three categories of contamination, rather than by distance.
The strict perimeter was long criticised as an inexact measure of safety, as radiation levels varied widely in the area and some hotspots existed outside the zone.
The change affects three of the 11 municipalities within.
“The reorganisation would be the foundation for the reconstruction of the affected towns. We will thoroughly discuss how we can best accommodate their needs,” said Economy and Trade Minister Yukio Edano, who announced the step late yesterday.
Starting tomorrow, Tamura will allow all residents to visit their homes part-time without protection or permission – but not to sleep there just yet, and the town of Kawauchi will allow residents to visit, although they must wear protective gear in some areas.
Areas of Minamisoma fall into all three categories of contamination, but the town will allow residents to visit their homes in the least contaminated areas in mid-April.
Residents in the least contaminated areas will be allowed to return permanently after further decontamination efforts.
Kawauchi mayor Yuko Endo welcomed the announcement and told public broadcaster NHK: “The revision comes at a right time just as the town tries to rebuild and reborn.”
He said, however, that residents have a right to choose whether or not to return to their homes right away.
The town office had shifted to another part of Fukushima prefecture but moved into a part of Kawauchi just outside the evacuation zone earlier this month to help smooth the residents’ return.
While the reclassification means about 16,000 people can return home fairly soon, it is not clear how many will.
Most are waiting until the area is further decontaminated and infrastructure restored.
News Source: NZ Herald